Wednesday, July 15, 2026

After the Storm...

I was thinking how funny it is that last week I was in Orting on a beautiful warm autumn afternoon taking photos of Mt. Rainier and Halloween pumpkins and pink haystack piggies between visits with clients and today I turned on the heat for the first time to take the damp chill out of the air in my condo.

I’m such a fan of the seasons, all of them, and I’m no wimp when it comes to cooler temperatures. I say frugal perhaps to a fault, but that’s my upbringing in Renton. Where’s that well worn old comfy sweater I put away last spring?

Last weekend we had a pretty good storm blow through the area. It was our annual and usual autumn blast with lots of power outages as we pass the equinox. Our reminder, we’re headed for winter. The really big one I remember was way back in 1962 on Columbus Day (October 12, 1962).

Up until last Saturday the weather’s been still foggy mornings and sunny warm afternoons, one of the most beautiful Octobers I can remember, dry and very mild. Yet those of us who’ve from these parts know any day now the big dark gray wet will come thundering in from the Pacific.

The winds will have their rodeo and the rain will pelt recent relocators, especially from the southern reaches, into submission. They’ll whimper depressed in blankets before gas fireplaces.

As I walked out to my truck from our Kent office the rain stopped, the clouds parted, and the sun poked through to light this little ensemble of colors in the parking lot.

Enjoy the season...

No comments:

Post a Comment